107: Started dairy sheep enterprise in 2002, evolved from birthing sheep to vodka distilling- won World’s Best Vodka & awarded as the Australian Champion Vodka 5 yrs in a row. Grew 2 FTE to the current 20 in 19 yrs with 40% annual return. (Diane Rae)May 23, 2021
In this episode, I interview Diane Rae, the CEO of Ewenique Enterprises based in Tasmania, Australia- known for its sheep-making cheese expertise and best vodka. Ewenique Enterprises is the incorporation of Grandvewe Cheeses- a farmhouse cheesery that uses sheep milk to make exceptional cheese and Hartshorn Distillery- a micro-distillery that makes vodka and gin from their own sheep whey.
Diane Rae’s career didn’t start as a cheesemaker, she was a psychologist and a financial planner. She doesn’t have an idea she would fall as a cheesemaker and a famous dairy sheep breeding consultant. They started as a dairy sheep enterprise, evolved into incorporating a distillery, and even won Best Vodka in 2018 at the World Vodka Awards in London. Through the innovation of strategies and use of digital marketing, they made significant growth with a 40% annual return. Grew 2 FTE to the current 20 in 19 years in the business.
It is amazing to know how a small business grows through innovations and a great attitude in spite of challenges. Diane Rae has shown a great attitude toward the challenges her business had faced which helped the business to become more successful. “The challenges in growing a small business is such a wonderful field for creativity and thinking outside the square.”- Diane Rae
This Cast Covers:
- How a particular passion in business leads to success.
- How challenges in growing a small business become pieces for innovation.
- Leading the team members to do the right things in order for the business to survive.
- How making a profit means having fun in business.
- The importance of understanding differences and being the key to a successful business.
- How hard work means a lot in growing a business.
- Getting the most amazing rewards in return for fulfilling the things needed by the business.
- How digital marketing helps small business owners communicate their products to people.
- Motivating each team member to do the right thing.
- Being innovative for significant growth and development.
“If you are not making a profit, you’re not actually having fun in your business.” – Diane Rae
“It is important to know your whys because it drives you.” – Diane Rae
“Success means hard work.” – Diane Rae
“Learn to respect each other and understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses, understanding the differences is the key to a successful business.” – Diane Rae
“The challenges in growing a small business is such a wonderful field for creativity and thinking outside the square.” – Diane Rae