113: Founded Canada's first flower recycling company in 2014, helping corporations by repurposing events and fundraising florals. Diverted 93 tons of floral waste from landfills & over 150,000 bouquets donated since 2014. (Kalynn Crump)Jun 14, 2021
In this episode, I interview Kalynn Crump, the Founder of ReBLOOM, Canada’s first flower recycling company that helps corporations by repurposing events and fundraising florals, converting waste into bouquets for charities, non-profits, and hospices across Canada. A distinctive company handling the best for the environment and for the people who have thought they were forgotten.
Rebloom was founded by Kalynn Crump in 2014. She has witnessed how flowers were thrown in the dumpster after an event and didn’t even enjoy the beauty of it. Then, she decided to find a better solution for people to enjoy the beautiful flowers for a week or more depending on how they take care of them. She started the business thinking this would not work but, she felt success in 2018 by gaining 125% growth following a 300% growth in 2019. They have diverted 93 tons of floral waste from landfills and delivered 150,000 bouquets since 2014.
Crump says the hardest thing in growing a small business is exercising patience. “You have to have patience. It's like watering a plant” she said. Therefore, in order to grow a plant and for it to bear fruits, patience is very important and so in the business.
This Cast Covers:
- A distinctive flower business that handles the best for the environment by recycling flower events.
- How the smallest ideas impacted the lives and souls of people who have thought they were forgotten.
- Bringing happiness to everyone while giving flowers a second life and without damaging the environment.
- Partnerships with everyone wanting to make a difference such as corporate clients, global conferences, fundraisers, and hotels.
- Employing a lot of people but everybody gets paid by the company that hires them.
- The basis of the business is enjoying the flowers for a week or more depending on how well people take care of them.
- Started finding a better solution for flowers not to be thrown in the dumpster to reduce the worsening of health problems.
- The idea of bringing back a natural product into the community by creating more beauty.
- How flowers are making a positive impact within the community.
- Flowers undergo composting to complete the organic life cycle.
“The whole point of being an entrepreneurial business owner is sharing your wins and your losses and in my opinion, that is what it should be.” – Kalynn Crump
“I don't pretend to be the genius of all things, we hire that out. I know my limits and I play within it.” – Kalynn Crump
“Success for me is definitely giving back to the community that has given me so much.” – Kalynn Crump
“At the end of the day, you have to be doing good in order to give back to your community and feel good about yourself.” – Kalynn Crump
“Because as long as we give back to people, create joy and the environment, you've got a home run, every corporation will sign up for it in a heartbeat.” – Kalynn Crump