With over a decade of extensive experience in biotechnology and life science space, now leading a pharmaceutical company for over a year, growing market cap from less than $10 million to over $16 million and from 2 to 24 FTEs. (Punit Dhillon)Oct 07, 2021
In this episode, I interview Punit Dhillon, the President, CEO & Chair of Skye Bioscience Inc. based in San Diego, California, USA, a public pharmaceutical company with a leading program in ophthalmology, developing a drug for glaucoma. Punit is a biotech and life sciences entrepreneur passionate about helping the community. He’s also an author of the book Catapult wherein he shares 10 principles for a purpose-driven life and career, linking together the athletic strengths that will help people succeed in the business world.
With his extensive experience in biotechnology and life science space, he’s leading Skye Bioscience for a year now with phenomenal growth in market cap from less than $10 million to over $16 million and from 2 to 24 FTEs. Punit was the former CEO and Director of OncoSec, a San Diego-based biotechnology company pioneering new technologies to stimulate the body’s immune system to target and attack cancer.
Punit says the two hardest things in growing a small business based on his experience were learning to step aside and speaking to people with brevity to drive clarity in terms of decision-making. These were challenging for him throughout his career because these were the certain expectations of many toward leaders in an organization.
This Cast Covers:
- A unique company developing novel first-class molecules that focused on a whole range of different therapeutic areas.
- The life science space-focused business with a leading program in ophthalmology.
- Particularly developing a drug for glaucoma using synthetically derived molecules known as cannabinoids.
- Through extensive experience co-founded and served as President and CEO of OncoSec Medical Inc., a biotechnology company pioneering new technologies to fight cancer.
- Tackles about the role of a leader in growing a small business which is to enable growth by getting rid of obstacles that restrict it.
- How can working together with the team and having effective decision-making help get through challenges.
- An inspiring biotech and life sciences entrepreneur who is focused on serving the community.
- The importance of working with outside experts in achieving good purposes.
- The significance of listening to what the team needs and understanding their purpose to accommodate the company needs to succeed.
- Figuring out an individual's purpose alongside the roles and responsibilities is the best way in order to really foster growth.
- For over a year in a public pharmaceutical company, the market cap grew from less than $10 million to over $16 million and from 2 to 24 FTEs.
- Skye Bioscience
- Catapult By Punit Dhillon
- The Second Mountain By David Brooks
- Atomic Habits By James Clear
“The measure of success is when you can enable growth not only in the company but also for the individuals who are part of that success.” —Punit Dhillon
“The leader’s job is to help get rid of obstacles and enable growth to not be restricted.” —Punit Dhillon
“We can be visionary, if you’re not having that mindset, you’re not having that support and driving purpose, then you’re not doing a great job.” —Punit Dhillon
“We're living in a profound era and we have an opportunity to aspire 10 times higher than where we are, and just do the best we can to outline a plan so you can actually execute.” —Punit Dhillon
“Planning and establishing a set of tools that helps you hold accountability to yourself and allow you to hold accountability with your team is a habit that must be developed.” —Punit Dhillon