20+ years working in different industries, now helping entrepreneurs by providing assistance and consultations with contractors in their similar journey. Growing with over 10 million mark in revenue and 60 FTEs. (Ian McCarthy)Nov 13, 2022
In this episode, I interview Ian McCarthy the Founder, and CEO of Blue Claw Group based in Cape Cod, United States. Ian has set up his own business to provide landscape construction and maintenance services and assist contractors in their similar journeys.
With over 20 years of experience working in different industries, Ian has decided to build his own contracting and consulting firm through his experience and the encouragement of his former and loyal employees. Blue Claw Associates was established in 2021 and has been running for over a year. Growing his business with over 10 million mark in revenue and 60 FTEs.
Ian has said that growing a small business requires developing consistency in treating your employees right and making them feel not above you. So he says, “You keep a similar schedule so that you're available and your employees see you.”
This Cast Covers:
- Managing a business as a landscape and masonry contractor.
- Former accountant on Nantucket Island in the mid-90s.
- Started his business through his experience of handling clients with different kinds of businesses.
- Helping a lot of business owners around their country through his business workshops.
- Managed a sports business back in 2006.
- Dealing with a captive audience that needs them and appreciates the finer things in life.
- Learning how to build confidence in public speaking and engaging with people.
- Importance of showing good treatment and taking care of your employees.
- Went to numerous landscape conventions and trade shows.
- Getting the real value of the business by planning to sell it.
“You have to be profitable to be sustainable, and then make clients happy.” —Ian McCarthy
“You’re going after your prey and whatever you can do to get well known.” —Ian McCarthy
“You have to do what you have to do to make it right even if you did something wrong.” —Ian McCarthy
“Just be bold and be sociable, don’t be afraid to ask for business.” —Ian McCarthy
“The key thing is to run a business while you own it as if you’re planning on selling it.” —Ian McCarthy